Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Things are Slow Here, but I'm Okay With It

Today, we were supposed to have the meeting which has been postponed for about three days now. While it is a little upsetting because I feel like I may need to create my own internship experience because there is not a clearly specified path for me here, I am still optimistic because there is so much I can learn here and I am so so certain of that. 

This place is so interesting because there is such a relaxed atmosphere and people seem to make their own schedules and work on their own, yet at the same time people seem to be on the same page. It seems like the lax atmosphere and skewed concept of time would be a recipe for disaster in a place like this, but for some reason it works. This place functions well and flows with efficiency. I was talking to a friend about it and she introduced the concept of zen to me. She explained how they found something that works for them. They have reached such a state of peace that rather trivial and mundane concepts of time do not hinder them from doing amazing things here. Rather than having strict schedules and traditional ways of doing things, they let their problems work themselves out and are constantly making viable solutions as they run into problems. Of course there have to be some deadlines and we adhere to some timelines, but it seems to me like for the most part, the quality and disposition of the workers and volunteers here is really what makes things work. I have discovered from talking to many of the French interns that almost everyone who is here is not getting paid for their contributions to GK. It is interesting because the farm attracts so many knowledgeable and smart volunteers, but none of them are receiving compensation for their donations and input. I think many people here come because they are interested in GK and its mission to end poverty, but they are also looking to find a deeper meaning in their life. Personally that is the case with me. I want to explore my interests and discover my passions and I believe a unique place like this is the perfect platform on which I can hopefully do so. I believe that in my time here I will have a lot of time to reflect on who I am and who I want to be, and how that person can help others do the same. 

Skip ahead a day:
The meeting ended up happening yesterday and Jessie and I found out more specifically what we will be doing. Jonni said that she wants us to work on creating a program to outline the experience of a short term intern (2 months or less) here at the farm. We worked on it and I think it is really cool that we get to take on such an endeavor. Basically, we will influence the experience of all short term interns from now on. I think that it is an awesome opportunity to make sure that all of the interns really grasp the GK spirit while immersing themselves into both community within and outside of the GK Enchanted farm. We were also told that we will be helping out Tita Brenda in the day care center working with kids. This thought both excites me and scares me at the same time. I am excited because I have already connected with many of the kids here at the farm. I am fearful because I know they are going to run me under the table and I will be tired as hell for the next two months of my life. Mostly, I am excited for the opportunity because I have worked with kids before and as much as I hate to admit it, I believe I am very good with kids and they seem to like me as well. Here it is pretty easy to get theirs attention because they are all entranced by my hair. I have had multiple kids come up and touch my hair and ask if they can "borrow" it. Anyways, the kids are pretty cute and it feels great to know specifically what I will be tasked with over the next two months. 



Me with some of the kids in the community! Jarric and Dustin.

Talk to you guys soon! Thanks for reading.

-Nate

1 comment:

  1. Rest up, you'll need it! Hah. Love the updates, Nate, and glad you're learning and growing in your experience so far. Love you!

    ReplyDelete